Saturday, August 2, 2008

JC ain't no Christian Siriano, for sure

I've been continuing to work on my dress. I just completed a slightly wasted evening, and I'll tell you why.

Seams. It was all about seams. I'm having a difficult time with getting the side seams of this dress I'm making. I was told that with the way I originally cut it from the pattern (which was too small), that I made the dress too big like a short mumu. So, I take the seams in a little bit. Still too big. So I take the seams in some more. Better around the bust and torso, but hit the hips and belly, and it's too tight. So, I rip the seams up to where it's fitting (and it's quite fitted), and to make a long story short, I've ripped out and re-sewn the seams a total of 3 times (that's a 2 seams, one on each side, 3 times, so that's actually 6 seams altogether). And being that I'm a tall girl, you can only imagine how many stitches I had to pick ALL THOSE TIMES to try to get the seam out. The problem was something that all women dread-- the panty line. Although mine is more where the waistband is, rather than the bottom. I just can't get it right. I can't trust JC to pin me correctly, and I can't exactly pin myself, so, I just marked a spot a little higher than where I was starting the re-seams, and I will pick at it again tomorrow or another day when my eyes aren't going buggy from it all.

A big part of my frustration is JC. You might say, "Why are you blaming him?" Well, while I can look at myself to an extent in the mirror, I kept asking him, "How does it look?" and he'd be the one to say, "Let this out, tighten that up, I can see your panty waistband...". UGH! This really why I need a dressform badly. That way, I can get it right the first time instead of relying on someone else.

I WILL get this dress done! It should have been finished tonight!

No comments: