Sunday, September 7, 2008

I'm still here!

Hello Windsornot Threadheads (all zero of you),

I'm still here. Took a break due to vacation. But, that doesn't mean that I haven't been thinking or doing things before, during or after my vacation!

Since I'm sure she's not reading this blog, I think it's safe to say that I can post my mother's birthday gift now. She still hasn't received it, but what the hell.


Is this a periwinkle blue apron? Or.....


..or is it a lime green apron?


Ah hah! It's reversible! Gotcha!

I hadn't realized I hadn't posted this. It's been done for weeks, so it's just a matter of gifting it. Most of the work was really in the cutting and pressing. All I did was take my Williams-Sonoma chef apron, trace it and give about an extra inch allowance for seaming, and then ironed all the pieces to death, that it was just a matter or aligning all the pieces together, etc. I think for a first semi-freestyle effort, it came out pretty well. I think my mom will like. She asked for it, after all, in that fabric, but I think she'll be pleased in the end. Much of her kitchen and living room has an "Alice in Wonderland" feel to it, so it'll go along with it. I think her kitchen is also a dark periwinkle, so it'll go.

I think at some point, I'll probably make another one, but kid sized for Drew. I'll also probably try to make it so that it looks like the checkerboard racing flag or something like that. I like appealing to his car racing interests when I can (it's better than some other sports!).

I'm also thinking ahead to some other projects. I bought the beautiful fabric from my birthday, and I want to make something with it, but I'm not sure if it'll be a really nice blouse or a dress.

But in the meantime, since I'm almost done the other dress that I started, I have that on hold because I'm waiting to receive the other birthday present I bought myself...



I bought a "Uniquely You" dressform for myself. I originally saw it on eBay, but bought it through the Atlanta Thread Company instead, as the pricing was the same, but the guarantee was better at ATC. I bought this one because it was more flexible due to it being almost all foam. I figured it was going to be like my Select Comfort pillow that I have, that conforms to the pressure you put on it, so it's more malliable, if that makes sense. You slip on this cover and adjust the measurements that way, and can buy different covers if you change sizes. I liked it too because you could pin on it better, and it's not this hard, stiff thing. I haven't gotten it yet, as I only ordered it after the Labor Day weekend, so I'm hoping to get it next week. I think once I have that in place, it'll be easier for me to tailor some of my clothes, whether I'm making them from scratch or fixing store bought ones. I'm excited to receive it!

I'm also looking ahead to Halloween. Last year I chickened out and just wore my TKD uniform. But this year, I want to make something that's not too complicated to wear to the Scout Halloween Party. I don't wear anything on Halloween itself, because it's just easier to let the kids have their fun. I'm not sure what I'll do yet, if anything, but I'll come up with something.

So, I'm back! I don't know how soon I'll be getting back into my projects. It's back to school season, so we're trying to get back into a routine and rhythm of things, so we'll see when I get a chance to do that. Between knitting and sewing, I really want to get back into the swing of things!

No comments: